I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think. Socrates
This page shows a curated and chronologically sorted list of various projects I found myself working on. Looking for my CV? This is probably your best bet. It is categorized as follows:
Want to find out more about me? Read the about page.
Open Source Projects
I like applying Jason Fried’s “Scratch Your Own Itch” principle from ReWork. Below is a selection of open source projects I’ve created or contributed to, that were made possible thanks to a lot of scratching.
- gba-sprite-engine; a 2D C++ sprite engine for building games on the GBA.
- gba-bitmap-engine; a 3D C++ rendering concept on the GBA.
- gba-tileeditor; a simple tile editor for the GBA.
Unit Test Tools
- opbtest; the Open PicoBlaze Assembler Unit Test package.
- opbasm; the Open PicoBlaze assembler.
- extjswebdriver; an ExtJS & Selenium Webdriver C# framework.
- jasmine-junit-runner; a JUnit Runner that runs headless JS tests in Eclipse
- sausage; a PHP framework for the Selenium/Sauce Labs REST API.
- jasmin-sync-flow; easy setup test data with asynchronous code using flow.js.
- tfsbuildradiator; a simple Team Foundation Server Build radiator.
- ghostdriver; an implementation of the WebDriver protocol, using PhantomJS.
- FieldsLinker; draws links between elements of 2 lists.
- websocket-webcam; a pure JS HTML5 webcam client using WebSockets.
- bootstrap-wysihtml5; a simple, beautiful HTML5 wysiwyg editor.
- dokuwiki-to-hugo; converts your DokuWiki content to Hugo Markdown.
- gulp-svn; an SVN plugin for Gulp.
- commento; a privacy-aware platform that can embed comments into websites.
- jam-my-stack; A set of simple IndieWeb Jamstack publishing syndication tools.
Looking for more? Browse my GitHub profile.
Various courses I teach as part of my affiliation with the Faculty of Engineering Technology at KU Leuven since 2018.
- Principles of Database Management(2021)
- Operating Systems and C(2021)
- Software Engineering Skills(2021)
- Software Design in Java(2021)
- Software Design in C/C++(2021)
- Basic Engineering Skills in Python(2020)
- Capita Selecta Data Storage(2019)
Varous courses I taught as a senior software engineer to help spread good code practices.
- Test Driven Design for Teachers (2018)
- Cultivating the right problem solving skills (2017)
- Increase your productivity with Power Tools (2017)
- Clean Code (2017)
- The Creative Polyglot (2015)
- Agile Software Engineering (2012)
My academic research focuses on identifying and amplifying non-technical skills in software engineering education, primarily focusing on creative problem solving skills. I also blog about the subject.
A selection of recently published work:
- Exploring the Role of Creativity in Software Engineering. In Proceedings of the 43nd International Conference on Software Engineering: Software Engineering in Society (ICSE-SEIS), 2021.
- Non-cognitive abilities of exceptional software engineers: a Delphi study. In Proceedings of the 51st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, 2020.
- Software Engineering Education Beyond the Technical: A Systematic Literature Review. In Proceedings of the 47th SEFI Conference, 2019.
Looking for more? Browse my Google Scholar profile.