Brain Baking never happens in isolation. This page contains a selection of curious websites and fellow bloggers that deserve a shout-out. It is a nostalgic throwback to the nineties links or blogroll pages, like my recently excavated 2007 browser bookmarks.
Visit blogroll.org for a superior curated list of fine personal & independent blogs. If you’re looking for something specific, consider searching on searchmysite.net which focuses on content created by independent blogs. Both are great ways to get to know new people and sites.
- Improved Means for Achieving Deteriorated Ends, Lisp stuff by Brit Butler.
- Jessitron by Jessica Kerr, a symmathecist and enterprise software developer.
- Josh W Comeau, a CSS expert that produces beautiful howtos.
- Programming Digressions by Akram Ahmad, lovely cross-cultural digressions.
- The Pragmatic Engineer newsletters by Gergely Orosz.
- ENOSUCHBLOG by William Woodruff, on programming and philosophy.
General Blogging & IndieWeb
- Digging The Digital by Frank Meeuwsen, the quintessential Dutch blogger.
- Ana Rodrigues, mixed jottings of tech and personal experiences.
- BoffoSocko by Chris Aldrich, a modern day cybernetics blogging about blogging.
- Obsolete29 by Mike Harley, Privacy-aware posts in-between life.
- Peter Rukavina, Canadian stories on life, journaling, and printing.
- Stefan Imhoff, a German Stoic that also codes in NeoVim.
- Roy Tang, a programmer from the Philippines writing about life and games.
- Henrique Dias, a Portuguese computer scientist living in the Netherlands.
Psychology & Philosophy
- Winnie Lim, slow inner philosophical thoughts on the fast outer world.
- The Marginalian, an endless search for curiosity by Maria Popova.
- Farnam Street, self-improvement served in digestible bits.
- The School of Life articles that help learn, heal, grow.
- Blake Patterson, a modern day old Byte Cellar junkyard to marvel at.
- Ancient Electronics walkthroughs of old hardware by Justin Wl.
- Rubenerd by Ruben Schade, an active blog on all things nerdy and vintage.
- The CRPG Addict by Chester Bolingbroke.
- Strife Streams by Peter Bridger. Regular nuggets of classic retro gaming.
- Fabien Sanglard, in-depth reverse-engineering articles on game engines.
- Random Battles, A life long level grind story by Justin Wl.
- Virtual Moose, interactive fiction & game history by Michael Klamerus.
- Buried Treasure, John Walker digs up undiscovered indie games.
- Pixelmusement by Kris Asick, weekly videos about DOS shovelware.
- Kemenaran by Pierre Morinerie, Zelda GB hacks in French.
News sites & clubs
- Hardcore Gaming 101, podcasts and reviews of old and new.
- The DOS Game Club, where we play a DOS game each month.
- Retronauts, the seminal retro gaming podcast by ex-1UP members.
As for fan sites, too much to mention: The Castlevania Dungeon, Animal Crossing Blogs by JVGS, Albion (1995, BlueByte) by IS4, Flamestryke’s Wizardry and Might & Magic sites, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Knights of Lodis.
- The Tao of Gaming by Brian Bankler, board games and lesser pursuits.
- The 1Player Podcast dedicated to solitare games.
- Shelf Wear by Jonathan Schindler.
- Shut Up & Sit Down videos and podcast, British humor included.
- Stidjen Plays Solo, reviews by Stijn from a solo perspective.